Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review: The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break


The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break
The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break by Steven Sherrill

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Please note: This review was written in 2007, so please don't judge by my current format.

Disclosure: I picked this up on a whim with a gift certificate I had. I owe no one anything, but like to provide an honest review.

My Synopsis: This was a most intriguing book - I would go so far as to say it could easily become a classic of modern surreal literature. The Minotaur survives to this day, where he is a cook in a restaurant somewhere in North Carolina. Other immortals live and work among the mortals, such as Laurel, who is met during a trip to Florida taken by M and his landlord Sweeney. Interestingly, it seems that while people are occasionally taken aback by the Minotaur's appearance, no one seems terribly surprised by his presence.

My thoughts: I felt that, to me, this work spoke to the fact that there is within all of us a little bit of the freak that causes us to feel outcast and alone; this allows us to empathize with M. He lives very much in the "now" and has tended to forget much of his past and this is shown - among other ways - by the use of present tense in the narrative. M's search for love and acceptance is heart-breaking and heart-warming at the same time.

Definitely an interesting bit of literature for anyone who is looking to broaden their horizons a bit.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.