Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Review: Lonesome Dove


Lonesome Dove
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



I managed to finish this book, but it left me feeling squicky. I had no problem with the sex scenes, it's the weird words they use to describe things, like "carrot" that really just bothered me. What amuses me the most about this book is that many people who are otherwise really prudish about these things have told me they loved this book (like my late mother, who also burned a copy of The Happy Hooker she found once she realized what it was about. Really, Mom? The Happy Hooker needs burning, but Lonesome Dove is alright then? Good grief - I never understood her to her dying day...) and just raved about it. So, this is what I gleaned from it:

If you like romance novels, and if you like Westerns and if you think you'd really like something that mixes the two, you'll love this book. If you like the movie and TV series that spawned from this book, hey, more power to ya - my blessing upon thee.

But me? Yuck. I'll be over here in the corner with my heavy metal and urban fantasies, thanks. You have a nice day.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.