Sunday, October 7, 2012

Banned Books

So, I've been reminded that it is Banned Books week (thanks Pragya!) I don't agree with censorship in any form, so to celebrate this week, let's take a look at my Forbidden Bookshelf of Banned Books!




Brave New World has apparently been singled out and banned for various reasons, which astounds me. I love this book - it haunts me and I re-read it regularly.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess is another that has been banned, although I'm sure that's no surprise to anyone who had read this extremely disturbing book.

The DaVinci Code has been banned and caused religious people all over the world to go into a flutter, which can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. There are also old favorites like Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I would not in the least be surprised if my old favorites, the Tarzan books by Edgar Rice Burroughs were on a list somewhere, as well as the infamous Gor novels, a number of which I have read. Of Mice and Men and The Metamorphosis are on lists as well. These are all books I have personally read.

There are plenty of wonderful books that have been banned, have caused an uproar, and generally upset people. I support this whole-heartedly - if people are not stirred up, they will not ever grow. Support literature, support learning - take a stand against banning books!

1 comment:

  1. I'm still to read the first two books you mentioned. And I agree with you about supporting literature and learning, what a slogan, Katy.

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.