Monday, July 22, 2013

Book Review: "The Death of Magic": Saga of the New Gods, book 2 by Daniel Black

The Death of Magic by Daniel Black

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Book Info: Genre: Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Those who enjoyed the first book, can handle the trigger warnings
Animal Abuse: a cat is lost when his family moves away; he is captured by a budding young sociopath who tortures him. Explicit.
Trigger Warnings: rape, sexual slavery, sexual assault, slavery, murder, war, fighting, a form of self-rape.

My Thoughts: This book was very, very difficult for me to read. I love cats, so the things that Mr. Mephistopheles went through broke my heart. (spoiler removed). I also had a very difficult time with the horrible things that happen to Lucy with the minotaur, and with anyone captured by Chelsea and turned into a succubus. This is not an easy book to read. That said, I did like the book, quite a lot. It follows on well from the start of the series, and I think this is a series that will appeal to a fairly broad range of people, but especially those who are gamers, be it role-playing games like D&D or video games like World of Warcraft, since the so much of the world is based upon these fantasy worlds. I realize the story will not appeal to everyone, and that there will be people who will be unable or unwilling to read it simply due to the terrible nature of what is happening, but I found it very thought-provoking, and highly realistic. After all, so much of our world is based around violence, and so many of us escape into violent pastimes, that it is hardly surprising that so much of the world would turn into violence and horror under these circumstances.

I commented a few times while editing it, “You're killing me here,” but despite everything. I liked it. It's a strong story, and I see a lot of growth from this author. If this sounds like your sort of story, be sure to check it out. I've provided links below to Smashwords, if you would like a copy, and I'll be holding a giveaway for the first book probably within the week for those who don't yet have it and would like to start at the beginning.

Series Information: Saga of the New Gods is an ongoing series featuring a world where magic is brought back by an accidental wish. The first book was originally released as two, but then rereleased in a single edition.
Book 1: Be Careful what you Wish For: originally read the first part of this book for review, then edited it and the second half. My review is split between the two original editions, here and here.
Book 2: The Death of Magic has just been released.
There is a third book scheduled for this series, plus an addition two trilogies to complete the full set. I will be letting folks know as they are released.

Disclosure: I edited this book. I receive no remuneration based on sales. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: This novel is the second in the trilogy, Saga of the New Gods. Armageddon has come to the world, and populations reel and despair. Monsters roam the earth, destroying what they will, and all most people can do is hide, and pray that they will be overlooked.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.