Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Review: Duplicity


Duplicity
Duplicity by Nikki Jefford

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: Fans of the first book, those who enjoy paranormal YA fiction
Trigger Warnings: treachery, fighting
Please note: Review will contain spoilers for book one. If you haven't read it yet, you have been warned.

My Thoughts: I was so taken with the first book that I had to immediately go out and buy the rest of the trilogy and start reading. Unfortunately I needed to do some editing, so I wasn't able to indulge myself with any more marathon reading until I finished that, thus the delay in finishing this second one. It definitely was no less enthralling and entertaining, especially watching Gray and Lee clash.

I started to develop a bit of a feel for Adrian in this book. I think there is more to him than we've seen. Maybe we'll learn more in the final book. And while she may be a super, ultra-, mega-beeeyotch, I'd like to know what became of Charlene. She can't have started out bad. While she tried to kill Stacey, succeeded in killing her sister, and then tried to purge Graylee, I just don't believe she is necessarily evil. She just was obsessed with being popular, and with Blake, and... well, I'd just like to know what happened to her.

To me, this obsession with the characters is the sign of some really good writing. If the author hasn't created characters you feel for, wonder about, and are concerned what happens to them, then she hasn't engaged the reader, and believe you me, this reader was engaged. So, if you like paranormal YA fiction, you do not want to miss the Spellbound trilogy. The final book, Enchantment, is up next.

Series Information: Spellbound trilogy
Book 1: Entangled, review linked here where formatting allowed
Book 2: Duplicity
Book 3: Enchantment, to be read next.

Disclosure: I purchased this book after loving the first in the series. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: If Graylee Perez thought sharing a body with her twin sister was bad, dealing with a duplicate of herself is two times worse. Gray the second doesn’t seem to get that Lee’s boyfriend, Raj McKenna, is off limits. Then there’s the problem of Adrian Montez. He expects one of the Grays to be his. Nearly a year later, the council is onto them for past misdeeds; Lee, along with the rest of the coven, has lost control of her powers; and Gray is being stalked by what looks like the Grim Reaper. If they work together, they may stand a chance of setting things right and making it out alive.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.