Monday, August 19, 2013

Review: Dexter in the Dark


Dexter in the Dark
Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Supernatural Thriller/Police Procedural
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: twisted people
Trigger Warnings: murder, human sacrifice

My Thoughts: So, again, this is my second time through this book. I originally picked it up in 2010 and read it shortly thereafter, so it's been around three years since I first read these books.

This book has a lot more of the dark humor that we so love with Dexter, superimposing the comedic wedding plans and Dexter's attempts to work with Astor and Cody with the dangerous killings (and danger to Dexter himself) in a very effective way. I was particularly amused by the description of Dexter and Deborah's visit to a New Age shop:
We stepped in..A suffocating cloud of sickly sweet incense rolled over me, and I could tell that my inner enhancement had begun with a complete overhaul of my lungs. Through the smoke I could dimly see a large yellow silk banner hung along one wall that stated WE ARE ALL ONE. It did not say one of what. A recording played softly, the sound of someone who seemed to be fighting off an overdose of downers by occasionally ringing a series of small bells. A waterfall murmured in the background and I am sure that my spirit would have soared, if only I had one. Since I didn't, I found the whole thing just a bit irritating.
I also frequently laughed at Dexter's impatience with Cody and Astor's impatience to begin learning the Dark Path.

The hints of the supernatural made in the first books are now fully formed and in motion, thus I have changed my genre designation. I really enjoyed the prologue, and the bits intertwined in the story, that give us some more details on the Dark Passenger and its history. Although I really like reading the books from Dexter's point-of-view (even when he is speaking of himself in the third person), I also liked that we had a hint of the Watcher's thoughts throughout the book, too. I think it really increased the tension, letting us know that Dexter really was in danger (oh NOES) and it certainly kept me on my toes. As Dexter put it, “Feeling—what authentic human fun. Next I would join a bowling league. Find a chat room online and talk about New Age self-help and alternative herbal medicine for hemorrhoids. Welcome to the human race, Dexter, the endlessly futile and pointless human race.

I was very surprised that Dexter had never heard of the stories about Solomon and demons, or about Moloch, honestly. Or maybe he had heard the stories but never knew the background, I'm not sure, but I immediately was aware of the background. Scary stuff. But wonderful. I really do enjoy these books. I hope you will, too.

Series Information: Dexter Morgan series
Book 1: Darkly Dreaming Dexter, review linked here
Book 2: Dearly Devoted Dexter, review linked here
Book 3: Dexter in the Dark
Book 4: Dexter by Design
Book 5: Dexter is Delicious
Book 6: Double Dexter
Book 7: Dexter's Final Cut

Disclosure: I purchased this book for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: In his work as a Miami crime scene investigator, Dexter Morgan is accustomed to seeing evil deeds... particularly because, on occasion, he rather enjoys committing them himself. Guided by his Dark Passenger—the voice inside him that helps stalk his prey—he lives his outwardly normal life adhering to one simple rule: he only kills very bad people.

Dexter slides through life undetected, working as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Police Department, helping his fiancee raise her two adorable (if somewhat... unique) children, and always planning his next jaunt as Dexter the Dark Avenger under the light of the full moon.

But everything changes when Dexter is called to a gruesome double homicide. Dex realizes he's dealing with someone a whole lot more sinister than he is and it sends the Dark Passenger into hiding. And when something scares your friendly neighborhood serial killer, you know it's serious...

More used to inspiring fear then experiencing it, Dex must investigate, while simultaneously coping with is demanding family. If he's to save himself, and those around him, Dexter must pose questions he's never dared ask—where does evil come from, and does it hide inside everyone...?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.