Friday, April 6, 2012

Guest Blogger: Ami Blackwelder on Thailand

Travels to Thailand


HI! MY name is Ami Blackwelder, and while many of you know me as the romantic suspense author of paranormal, scifi, dystopian, historical, and soon to be steampunk, and urban...I am also a world travel!

How did I get into this? I decided to teach and travel, two birds with one stone. Earn money in a country I wanted to visit. I began my travels in the orient in Korea, but this post is about Thailand...so after Korea I went to Thailand. I ended up staying for 6 1/2 years! I considered it my second home now and will return in a year or so! I hope!



Swadee Ca! That is ‘hello’ in Thai. Women say ca and men say cup. You say that after every sentence, it is polite. Unless you don’t want to be polite!
Cap Cun Ca means ‘thank you very much!’

Bangkok is a city of noise, pollution, buses, motorbikes, taxis -all brushing past you on the road as you wander the sidewalks. Many markets on the streets filled with foods, house items, and sometimes illegal items like paperwork for visas, fake degrees and such.The people for the most part are very friendly and a joy to be around, but watch your wallet!



There is also a very cool sky train which is a main form of transit, because it is cheap and will take you from one side of the city to the other quickly.

If you’ve been to NY in America, Bangkok is a bit like that in feeling. Rushing, work-oriented people. You might try fried banana or even fried bugs on the streets! But I spent most of my time in Jomtien/Pattaya area.

In Jomtien the main form of transport is the baht bus and motorcycle. Tourists and Thais alike fill up the baht buses which follow a predetermined path around the city. For just a little change you can go around the city in no time.

This area is known for the gatoys which are men that dress like women. The city is famous for it. There is even a show people pay to see called the Alcazar where all the women are actually men. Some of them are very women like!

This is also a beach area were life is slowed down. Scuba diving, snorkeling, canoeing, kayaking, and other water sports are prevalent. You can take a boat to small islands were you can take elephant rides, watch dancers who blow fire, and eat seafood all day long! They even offer massages on the beach. Can someone say heaven?



I even took a motorcycle ride along the hills and coast of the islands. How picturesque and exhilarating! You know you are alive then!


My friend and I came up with a top 10 reasons you know your in Thailand.

1) When you see elephants crossing the roads


2) When baht busses are your main form of transportation
3) When you eat fried bananas all day
4) When you find yourself saying Swadee Ca and Cap Cun Ca in everyday conversation.
5) When you find yourself lost in the city of monkeys
6) When everyone is smiling even when they are mad
7) When people are offended by your feet
8) When everyone pays allegiance to one king
9) When an extra-extra large won’t fit your American small frame
10) When you could swear the girl on the street is actually a guy

Hope you enjoyed

Ami Blackwelder
http://amiblackwelder.blogspot.com
Where I blog about books, travels and have special guests regularly!

3 comments:

  1. You're welcome! I'm sure my peeps enjoyed having something a little different to read on here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job with the whole post.
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.