Friday, April 20, 2012

Review: Death Throes


Death Throes
Death Throes by Ian Woodhead

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Death Throes is a three-book omnibus, consisting of Spores; Shades of Green and Third Sight

Book Info: Genre: Horror Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I picked up a free copy for my Kindle from Amazon.com; since it is Ian Woodhead’s birthday 4/19/12, I decided to have a little Ian Woodhead marathon this week in celebration. Happy Birthday, Ian!

Spores Synopsis: Over the course of a couple of days, all the liquid is lost from the body, leaving in its wake a dried shell. Just a slight vibration is enough for the corpse to detonate, sending millions of dust spores into the air.

Everyone over the age of 40 has been wiped out by an unidentified fungal plague. Only the young remain. The survivors leave their shelters and emerge into a world blanketed with clouds of drifting spores.

They believe that the worst is over, now is the time to start re-building. They have yet to encounter the abominations, altered by the spores. They thought the plague was the end. The plague is just the beginning.

My Thoughts: Wow, this is one high-octane thrill-ride of horror. There’s no way to tell who to trust, who is telling the truth or who is lying. It isn’t a very long book, and it is mostly action, but there is some character development. The book is left open for a sequel, too, which I’ll be interested in seeing if it should come out. Recommended for fans of horror.

Shades of Green Synopsis: Holburn was just like any other northern English town, at least on the surface. Buried below the local woodland, something had begun to tunnel up…

Within hours, Holburn suffers a drastic transformation as invasive, bizarre plant-life infest the town, the population and wildlife transform into rampaging, blood-thirsty beasts. A handful of survivor’s battle to stay alive and search for answers

My Thoughts: This book has much better editing than any of the previous books I’ve read by Ian Woodhead thus far. It also has more character development and plot – it’s still not terribly long, but it tells a more comprehensive story. I really enjoyed it and since he seems to have left it open for a sequel, I’ll be interested in whether he follows through with that. I would love to know more about... well, I can’t tell you, ‘cause that would be a spoiler! But I would like to know what happens next. Enjoyable story. 5 out of 5 stars.

Third Sight Synopsis: Driving its serrated talons through their hot skin fills it with unbelievable pleasure. Only the immense waves of life energy detonating from its chosen watcher can come close to the almost orgasmic experience of deleting their physical form from this realm.

Adrian Winters is unaware that close to his home, a newborn demon has chosen him to be the watcher. Very soon, his loving family and all his friends are about to become food for the demon.

Adrian will witness every gruesome death!

My Thoughts: Wow, this is one trippy book; it keep popping back and forth between reality and hallucinations and other realms until you have no idea what is going on. Plus there is no telling who to trust, or even who really is what they say they are. Crazy book – definitely have to pay attention or you’ll get completely lost in it. However, if you enjoy horror or bizarro fiction, you should enjoy this book. 5 out of 5 stars



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.