Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Review: That Thing at the Zoo


That Thing at the Zoo
That Thing at the Zoo by James R. Tuck

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of urban fantasy, especially darker, male-oriented urban fantasy
Trigger Warnings: murder of animals and humans, evil babies

My Thoughts: This is a doozy of an introduction to Deacon Chalk, that's for sure! I've been wanting to read this series for some kind, so I finally just decided to buckle down and do it since I had the time this week. This is just an introductory, prequel novella, but it gives a very good taste of what is to come. Deacon is a very complex character and I'm looking forward to learning more of his backstory and seeing him in action in the first full-length novel in the series, Blood and Bullets. I was also very excited to learn that the author runs a tattoo studio only about an hour away from where I live, so who knows? Maybe my next tattoo will be done by someone famous! Stay tuned!

Series Information: That Thing at the Zoo is a prequel to the Deacon Chalk series.
Book 1: Blood and Bullets
Book 1.5: Spider's Lullaby
Book 2: Blood and Silver
Book 2.5: Circus of Blood
Book 3: Blood and Magick

Disclosure: I purchased this book for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Shredding monsters is his stock and trade. He sniffs them out, tracks them down, and corners them. End of story. But when the tables are turned, expect the unexpected.

Knowing his enemy is a rule Deacon Chalk swears by. But he's never seen anything like whatever is leaving the Atlanta Zoo's most dangerous predators bloodless, skinned, and hanging high in the treetops. And he's only got until sunrise to keep it from turning the entire city into a slaughterhouse. 

Now Deacon is in zoo lockdown with a handful of staffers to save. His zookeeper backup has more guts than monster-hunting experience. And the only chance Deacon has to run this thing to holy ground is to unleash his darkest, most uncontrollable instincts...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.