Thursday, June 13, 2013

Review: Blood and Silver


Blood and Silver
Blood and Silver by James R. Tuck

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of darker urban fantasy with male-oriented action
Trigger Warnings: rape and sexual assault (including against a child); murder and torture (including children)
Animal Abuse: This book was heavily filled with various types of were-animals. There is a lot of violence perpetuated against animals as a result.

My Thoughts: Leonidas and his crew absolutely infuriated me. The things they did... okay, yeah, so they were predator were-animals, but they choose to murder, torture, even eat people, including children—including babies. Horrible people, and I cheered Deacon on to each and every horrible death against them.

This book has all kinds of crazy were-animals: were-chickens, were-rabbits, were-lions, were-cougars, were-dogs of various types, were-lizards, were-snakes... you name it, there is probably a were-animal of its ilk connected to this story. The best was toward the end, but I don't dare say what it is because that would spoil the surprise.

I'm really into this story, that's for sure. I have one novella and one novel to go and I'll have finished the lot, and then will have to impatiently wait for Tuck to write something new. I really like this type of urban fantasy, without constant romance. There is a bit of romance, but it's bearable and overwhelmed by all the violence, so this is really my sort of thing. If you like darker urban fantasy, action-oriented, male-centric, definitely check out the Deacon Chalk series.

Series Information: Blood and Silver is Book 2 in the Deacon Chalk series
Book .5: That Thing at the Zoo, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 1: Blood and Bullets, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 1.5: Spider's Lullaby, review linked here where formatting allowed
Book 2.5: Circus of Blood
Book 3: Blood and Magick

Disclosure: I purchased this book for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: He hasn’t met a monster yet that could give him a scare. With ice in his veins, silver hollow-points in his chambers, and an innate ability to rise from the dead, what’s to fear? The answer may be something he doesn’t want to face…

Deacon Chalk normally has no trouble telling innocent victims from real monsters. So protecting an abused pregnant were-dog is a no-brainer… until a vicious lycanthrope leader and his brotherhood target Deacon, other shape-shifters, and any humans in their way. Suddenly, Deacon is outnumbered, outgunned, and unsure who—or what—to trust. The only edge he has left is a weapon hungry for his soul and his most savage impulses. And using it will exact a price even this hell-raising hunter fears to pay…



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.