Monday, November 25, 2013

Review: Where Were You When: An Anthology


Where Were You When: An Anthology
Where Were You When: An Anthology by Lynne Cantwell

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Magical Realism
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: those interested in alternate spirituality, those who enjoyed the Pipe Woman Chronicles, or are interested in learning more about that world.

My Thoughts: This is an anthology of three short stories that take place ten years after the events of the Pipe Woman Chronicles, and preceding Crosswind. I was very happy and excited to realize that this world would continue to provide me with entertainment, at least for one more day... I will provide a short review of each of the three shorts:

“Where Were You When”: Tess remembers the events from the end of Annealed, and her first encounter with Morrigan, as well as what led to her decision to study journalism.

“Change of Plans”: Darrell has just completed the shamanic rituals necessary to be considered a full-blown medicine man. Then a rabbit leads him to meet Nanabush. He learns he will need to completely change his life in this brave, new world.

“Prophecy”: Sue, Moira and Heather are enjoying their Senior Skip Day. On a lark, they decide to have their fortunes told. Sue is drawn to Gaia.

I think this would be a great way for someone to learn a bit more about this series, if one isn't quite certain about picking up the books. The shorts introduce us to the main characters that will be in the Land, Sea, Sky series. The author has tentatively announce it to be a three-book series. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I love this world that Lynne Cantwell has created, and enjoyed this short anthology.

Series Information: Land, Sea, Sky is a continuation in the same world as the Pipe Woman Chronicles. It is not necessary to have read the Pipe Woman Chronicles to enjoy it, but you should anyway...
Prologue: Where Were You When, includes the shorts “Where Were You When”, “Change of Plans”, and “Prophecy”.
Book 1: Crosswind
The Pipe Woman Chronicles
Book 1: Seized, review linked here
Book 2: Fissured, review linked here
Book 3: Tapped, review linked here
Book 4: Gravid, review linked here
Book 5: Annealed, review linked here

Disclosure: I bought this short-story anthology for myself so I could read it before I read Crosswind. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: On the day when all the pagan gods and goddesses returned to Earth, three of Them—the Irish war goddess Morrigan, the Wiccan Earth goddess Gaia, and the Ojibwe culture hero Nanabush—marked three humans as their avatars. Soon, the gods will need them to protect the world They have created from those who profited during the days when Earth was ruled by greed and fear. But the three stories in this anthology tell how it all began.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I am so pleased you enjoyed all the books! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started Crosswind, but since it's time for me to do some editing it will not be as fast to finish. Plus the font on that file is teeny-tiny, I can barely read it even with my glasses!

      Delete

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.