Monday, November 11, 2013

Review: Ameca J Lost City of the Snake People

Ameca J Lost City of the Snake People by Paul Xavier Jones

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Book Info: Genre: Fantasy
Reading Level: older MG, to YA
Recommended for: fans of the series, fans of MG/YA fantasy
Book Available: TBA, probably late 2013/early 2014
Trigger Warnings: violence, fighting, killing and murder, domestic violence, man “teaching” son how to beat women, snakes, snake-people, huge spiders

My Thoughts: This is a very early ARC, so this would really be considered more of a beta read than anything. I cannot comment on editing, since it has not really been done yet, so this review is mostly discussing the broad strokes of the story.

This book is second in a proposed trilogy, like the first three books ended up being. Unfortunately, the author will not be finishing it until sometime next year, and I imagine I'll be hanging on my seat waiting on it. According to the author, it will also be the last adventure. We shall see.

I really enjoyed having more Squire Fluffy in these two books, and the introduction of Flame Wing. The Spirit Companion is a neat idea, which I think might be based loosely on the idea of totems. I was very frustrated by Amanda's attitude in this book, her stubborn refusal to acknowledge her limitations, and her subsequently putting everyone, including herself, in even more danger. I've been told that is par for the course for the situation, but to learn more about the why and how, you'll just have to read the books, as that would be a spoiler...

All in all, this new trilogy so far is very exciting and fast-moving. I'll very much be looking forward to how Jones continues and finishes the series. It's just a pity I'll have to wait so long, but there are other projects that have priority. I'm not sure when or if this review will be posted. I read the book in July, 2013, so whenever you read this, I can recommend these books. I've really enjoyed the lot of them so far, and if you like MG to YA fantasy, you probably will, too.

Series Information: The Ameca J Chronicles
Book 1: Ameca J and the Legacy of Menindus: read and reviewed in August, 2012. Review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 2: Ameca J and the Revenge of Rex-Ultar: read and reviewed in September, 2012. Review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 3: Ameca J and the Demon God of Mythrania: read and reviewed in January, 2013. Review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 4: Ameca J and the Rise of the Serpii: to be released in September 2013. Reviewed July 2013, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 5: Ameca J and the Lost City of the Snake People: release TBA, probably late 2013/early 2014

Disclosure: I received an ARC from the author in exchange for honest feedback. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: The girls are again on a quest to save Mythrania and the Earth. Another pyramid similar to the ones they destroyed on Mythrania lies on Earth, and Gravellux has told them they must stop the Serpii from coming through to Mythrania. And the only thing that can stop the Serpii is the missing sword Excalibur. To make things worse, some enemies they thought defeated have returned, and a new, very dangerous enemy—with ties to them—has arrived on the scene. The second in the second trilogy set of the Ameca J Chronicles.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.