Friday, April 5, 2013

Review: God's War


God's War
God's War by Kameron Hurley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Dark fiction (science-fantasy)
Reading Level: Adult (F/F relationships)
Recommended for: People who like dark and strange stories that are beautifully written
Trigger Warnings: murder, decapitation

My Thoughts: The world that Kameron Hurley creates for Umayma is dark, dreary, and unremittingly ugly with the constant wars, biological agents, and diseases. The various people are all “People of the Book,” (what sounds to me to be a form of Islam) but since they each interpret things differently, consider the others to be infidels, to be converted to the “true way” or destroyed. So far that sounds pretty depressingly familiar, doesn't it? What is it about religion that makes people so incredibly crazy?

Anyway, this is a very dark and often extremely depressing book, but in the end I think it is worth reading just because it is so beautifully written. Plus there are some really interesting ideas in this book, and I can see where there are some really twisted threads running through it. I really must see where this story goes. There are two more books available in this series, Infidel and Rapture, and I'll be reading and reviewing those next, so watch for those reviews. If you like dark stories with a deep thread running through, check these stories out.

Disclosure: I bought this book for myself a couple years ago. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Nyx had already been to hell. One prayer more or less wouldn't make any difference...

On a ravaged, contaminated world, a centuries-old holy war rages, fought by a bloody mix of mercenaries, magicians, and conscripted soldiers. Though the origins of the war are shady and complex, there's one thing everybody agrees on...

There's not a chance in hell of ending it. 

Nyx is a former government assassin who makes a living cutting off heads for cash. But when a dubious deal between her government and an alien gene pirate goes bad, Nyx's ugly past makes her the top pick for a covert recovery. The head they want her to bring home could end the war—but at what price? 

The world is about to find out.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.