Saturday, February 2, 2013

Review: Editorial


Editorial
Editorial by Arthur Graham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Bizarro
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of bizarro fiction, those interested in circular meta-fiction
Trigger Warnings: Graphic sex (including bestiality and coprophilia), (implied*) incest, (implied) child molestation, genocide, blasphemy, non-PC use of “faggot”

My Thoughts: This is an extremely strange and disconnected story, which is really the point I suppose. It’s definitely not a light or quick read, as it is very important to pay attention to understand where and when you are, who is telling the story, etc. That said, there are some really good ideas expressed in this book. Since there is no real way to explain it, I’ll mostly provide quotes so you can have an idea of the really wonderful writing style of this author.
Mealtimes with aunt and uncle were always an incredibly interesting, if dreadfully dull affair.”
Homo sapiens—the so-called ‘wise ape’—is the only one that bothers to cover its ass. It is also the only species that purposefully poisons its environment and murders its own kind en masse.”
It is no small secret that many writers are also alcoholics, drug addicts, sexual deviants, or habitual wearers of blue jeans (in some cases all of the above).
“On a long enough timeline, not only did all things become possible, they eventually became inevitable.”


While I wouldn’t say this is the sort of book I would recommend to just anyone, the writing style is really amazing, and a lot of the ideas resonated strongly. Bizarro fiction is often full of graphic sex and violence, and this is no exception (at least the sex), so if that bothers you, best to stay away. The writers also frequently thumb their noses at PC language, so keep that in mind. However, if you are interested in some circular meta-fiction that will definitely make you think, check this book out. And, of course, if you’re a fan of bizarro, don’t miss this one!

Disclosure: I received a PDF copy from the author in exchange for a review. I later downloaded an updated edition from Amazon when it was on free KDP promotion. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Follow the editor and his client into the infinite ring of Ouroboros, the self-devouring, in this episodic novella by Arthur Graham. A story told through concentric circles of narrative, each adding a layer of truth while further smothering all notions of certainty, Editorial will leave readers wondering just how many times the same tale can be swallowed...

*Please note: When I use (implied) in my trigger warnings, I mean the subject comes up, but is not graphically represented. It is, however, implied that it happens.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.