Monday, February 11, 2013

Review: Danger in Cat World


Danger in Cat World
Danger in Cat World by Nina Post

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Procedural murder mystery/urban fantasy cross
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Cat lovers, people who like mysteries, urban fantasy, great twists
Trigger Warnings: Murder
Animal Abuse: tortoise murder, catnapping

My Thoughts: I’ve been looking forward to this book for months, ever since hearing about it in the author’s newsletter back around Thanksgiving. I love cats, I love mysteries, I love urban fantasy... what could go wrong?

Shawn is awesome. I love the way he talks to Comet (which is pretty much how I talk to my cats), and I love his sense of humor. When he meets the small, but very aggressive, Sarah Baio, he had a great reaction. “Shawn grinned, and tried not to say that she was adorable and he wanted to put her in his pocket. She would probably punch him in the throat.” What is awesome about that is that he realized her strength and could still see the woman behind at the same time without some idiotic need to try to “protect” her in some way. I also loved Shawn’s reaction to loads of strange cats showing up in his place, which was essentially, “I’m going to need more food.” He doesn’t even consider putting them out for a moment, and I just thought that was awesome!

Speaking of the mysteriously appearing cats, they are described as big, fluffy, dark brown, and having mismatched eyes. It sounds like maybe Maine Coon cats (since he called them coon cats), and I wanted to try to find a picture, but I cannot find a solid brown Maine Coon, let alone a brown one with mismatched eyes: those are usually found in white cats. The only solid brown cats of which I’m aware are Havana Browns.

The Sylvains are a real piece of work. I felt really badly for poor Haviland having to deal with that family of jerks. Some of the things they did... wow. Shawn Danger’s family was almost as bad. The characters in this book are a lot of fun, and the interactions are so funny.

Unlike Nina Post’s other books, this one isn’t quite as silly overall (not that this is a bad thing either way), but it is still very humorous. If you like Nina Post’s style, be sure to check out her other books, Last Condo Board of the Apocalypse, Last Donut Shop of the Apocalypse, and One Ghost Per Serving. Links on the titles will take you to my reviews on sites where formatting is allowed.

Recommended for people who love cats, for people who enjoy a good mystery, for people who love a funny story, and for people who love a terrific twist at the end of the book. Understanding of quantum physics is optional. Great fun!

Disclosure: I received a copy of this e-book from the author. No review was requested, but I’m happy to provide one. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: On the verge of losing himself in his work, a homicide detective investigates the murder of a reclusive heiress, but when he discovers a window to another universe and dozens of cats begin appearing out of thin air, he must embrace the unknown to solve the case.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Check, check, check and check! I love all those things in a book. :)

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.