Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: Backup


Backup
Backup by Jim Butcher

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Please note: This novelette is also part of the anthology Side Jobs, which is where I read it.

My Thoughts: Like the fun short story "Even Hand", this story is not told from Harry's point of view. Instead, we hear from Thomas. This is a very important story. In it we learn more about Thomas and the White Court, and about the existence of the Venatori and the Oblivion War. We also get a glimpse into Justine, which provides a bit more information about the reactions she had to Marcone, and why Marcone called her Agent in "Even Hand." Don't miss it!

Synopsis: Let's get something clear right up front. I'm not Harry Dresden. Harry's a wizard. A genuine, honest-to-goodness wizard. He's Gandalf on crack and an IV of Red Bull, with a big leather coat and a .44 revolver in his pocket. He'll spit in the eye of gods and demons alike if he thinks it needs to be done, and to hell with the consequences--and yet somehow my little brother manages to remain a decent human being. I'll be damned if I know how. But then, I'll be damned regardless. My name is Thomas Raith, and I'm a monster. So begins "Backup" a twelve thousand word novelette set in Jim Butcher's ultra-popular Dresden Files series. This time Harry's in trouble he knows nothing about, and it's up to his big brother Thomas to track him down and solve those little life-threatening difficulties without his little brother even noticing.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.