Sunday, September 30, 2012

International Blasphemy Day: Part Rant, Part Fun

For the past few years, I've wanted to do something special to commemorate International Blasphemy Day, September 30.
Blasphemy is defined as: (noun)
1 a: the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God b: the act of claiming the attributes of deity
2: irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable

There are a lot of people around the world throwing out "blasphemy" as an excuse for acting like nutjobs (Fundamentalist Islamic Extremists, I'm looking at you, you bottle-throwing, fire-bombing, murdering dickwads. I'm also looking at you, right-wing Fundamentalist Christians who somehow think women should be sent back to the kitchen and kept barefoot and pregnant, and certainly kept in grass huts during "that time of the month"). They get upset because people aren't showing proper reverence toward their beliefs. Well, I have news for you people:
Your beliefs are not our beliefs; therefore, our actions are not blasphemy, because we are not showing contempt or lack of reverence toward our sacred beliefs. Just because you think something is sacred, that doesn't mean it matters any more than a hill of beans to us. Maybe if you acted like civilized human beings, we could work something out. Instead you take any excuse to murder and destroy - how is that solving your problems? Take your example from these people, instead...

Anyway, I did not set out to make this a serious, ranty post. I actually wanted to do something fun, but things in the world are serious right now, and I could not address the idea of blasphemy without a nod to that reality.

Anyway, on to the more fun aspects! How about some fun - in a fight, who would win - Jesus or Godzilla? Go here and find out! (It's a game, so time will be wasted) Or how about this classic South Park episode, where Jesus goes up against Satan in a boxing match?

Finally, how about some Cthulhu? My idea of blasphemy? Writers who don't check their work before they publish:

Finally, for a sobering example of what might happen if the Fundamentalists take over the USA, check out Randy Attwood's Rabbletown: Life in These United Christian States of Holy America (my review here), which is available as ebook or as a paperback through Amazon's Print-On-Demand service.  I think everyone in the world should read this book, but that's just my opinion (but I'm sticking to it).  I've listed extensive quotes from this book on the Goodreads page, and I think these rules are ones by which more people should live.

So, Happy Blasphemy Day - Go Ye Forth and Blaspheme. What is the point of free speech if we don't use to offend someone today?

2 comments:

  1. lol, today is blasphemy day? I didn't miss it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is TODAY!! I wore my "Satan: He's All That" T-shirt out to breakfast!

      Delete

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.