Friday, December 28, 2012

Review: At the Mountains of Madness


At the Mountains of Madness
At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



This is part of the [b:The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft|11851522|The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft|H.P. Lovecraft|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327886768s/11851522.jpg|16807494], which can be found at CthulhuChick.com formatted for Nook or Kindle.

Synopsis: On an expedition to Antarctica, Professor William Dyer and his colleagues discover the remains of ancient half-vegetable, half-animal life-forms. The extremely early date in the geological strata is surprising because of the highly-evolved features found in these previously unkown life-forms. Through a series of dark revelations, violent episodes, and misunderstandings, the group learns of Earth's secret history and legacy

My Thoughts: This is one of Lovecraft's better-known works, in which little snippets from many of his shorter pieces are used as background to create a more-cohesive whole. A classic of the creeping horror/bizarro genre, and a story not to be missed.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I love At the Mountains of Madness, for me this is the perfect story to read FIRST! It has snippets from Cthulhuian mythos like you said. It is also one of his longest pieces. OH and if you ever played the original table top RPG you will recognize this one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the anthology I am reading has the stories in order of when they were written, and this is one of his later works. However, I have read it before - I have a paperback that includes this and several others. Good stuff :-)

      Delete

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.