Thursday, August 23, 2012

Review: Hyperion


Hyperion
Hyperion by Dan Simmons

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Note: This review originally written and posted on Amazon 4/11/2007, so don't judge by my current format.

Hyperion Review: Shades of Canterbury Tales

While I knew Hyperion had a sequel, I had NO IDEA it would end with the sort of cliff-hanger it did, which was both aggravating and strangely moving (or maybe a better word is touching?) at the same time. However, the story itself stands alone - the story being the journey itself and the pilgrims' tales to one another about their reasons for taking this journey (see what I mean about Canterbury?). I was pleasantly surprised to find "Siri's Tale" in among the stories, which was included also in Prayers to Broken Stones.

Although technically science fiction, with its setting in the distant future, the story is strangely naive and brought to my mind older science fiction writers, from the 40s to 60s.

The Shrike sits in the background like a glowering idol to an obscene god, appearing without warning and leaving havoc in his (her??) wake. Where did the Shrike come from? What is its purpose? Hopefully these stories will be answered in the sequel - which I don't have yet *biting fingernails*

Basically, what I'm trying to get at here, is that this is a marvelous book and one which everyone should read. :-)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.