Friday, November 2, 2012

Review: Jitterbug Perfume


Jitterbug Perfume
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Please note: I read and reviewed this book in 2007; that review is posted here. I have made minor alterations to fit into my current format. The book was a used copy I picked up at Goodwill, and as a result I was not under any obligation to anyone. My opinions and thoughts are my own.

Book Synopsis from Paperback Edition: A story beginning in the forests of ancient Bohemia and ending at nine o'clock tonight, Paris time. The hero is a janitor with a missing bottle which is embossed with the image of a goat-horned god and is said to contain the remaining drops of the secret essence of the universe.

Brief Overview of my Thoughts: Tom Robbins shows in "Jitterbug Perfume" that he is a master with words and not afraid to play with the English language. His similes and metaphors are always good for a laugh or gape of awe...

My Synopsis: This book tells the story of a perfume bottle, a man who started as king, became a peasant, then a wanderer, and finally an immortal. We learn of and follow his journeys, the decline and death of Pan, and various perfumers who are seeking the ultimate fragrance. And let's not forget the unwritten hero of the book - the glorious beet!

My Additional Thoughts: The book is full of twists and turns, mostly created by Robbins' creative use of the English language - he bends rules into all sorts of interesting shapes. If you are a fan of Robbins, a fan of epic stories, or even a fan of books that are a bit different, you will LOVE this one! Don't miss it!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.