Monday, May 6, 2013

Review: Mercury Begins


Mercury Begins
Mercury Begins by Robert Kroese

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy/Humorous
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of humorous stories, those who are interested in the series.
Trigger Warnings: Historical inaccuracies, sacking of Troy

My Thoughts: I read the first full novel in this series, Mercury Falls, several years ago (2010) (review linked here where formatting allowed). I have since accumulated the rest of the series from Amazon Vine, and picked up the two prequels, so I'm going to go ahead and read the rest of the series and review it, starting here.

The most important thing you need to know about the Mercury books is that they are hilarious. Take this quote:
It was the first time Mercury had tried beer and, having been informed it was an acquired taste, he did his best to acquire it over the course of twenty-four bottles. He remembered thinking he was making real progress around number eighteen, but everything after that was a blur.

His conversation with the seagull was priceless, too. And then there is this footnote: “Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft did not invent PowerPoint in the 1990s. It was devised by Lucifer, along with drawing and quartering and several other forms of torture, in the third millennium B.C.

At any rate, I enjoyed this story, which introduces us to Mercury, gives us some background on his job and how and why he does what he does, and generally sets us off. The author recommends if you haven't read any of the series to start here, but I started with the first novel, so you can go that route as well. Recommended if you like to laugh.

Series Information: Mercury Begins is the first of two prequels to the Mercury series.
Prequel Two: Mercury Swings, to be read/reviewed next
Book 1: Mercury Falls, read in September 2010, review linked here where formatting allowed
Book 2: Mercury Rises, to be read soon
Book 3: Mercury Rests, to be read soon.

Disclosure: I bought this novella for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Travel to ancient Troy with the irrepressible angel Mercury as he masterminds the most unnecessarily complicated sneak attack in history! Never read any of the Mercury books? Start here! Already read one or more of the books? Also OK! There's no wrong way to read this story, unless you're using a spatula and a bowl full of goose feathers.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.