Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Review: Approaching Oblivion


Approaching Oblivion
Approaching Oblivion by Scott Rhine

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Science Fiction
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Sci-fi, esp. tech-based
Trigger Warnings: sexual assault (reported), murder, violence, fighting

My Thoughts: This is a fairly long entry in the Jezebel's Ladder series, but there is so much going on that it doesn't feel long. There is a lot of character development during the time spend reaching, and then on, Oblivion, especially with Yuki.

I don't want to put in too many spoilers, but I do want to point out that the abuse inflicted on Yvette by Toby in the previous book is discussed and consequences given. Yvette still loves Toby, though, as she always has and the subsequent changes in Toby's behavior starts to bring her around. Some of the people who worked on this book had a real problem with this, but I felt it was done fairly well.

The inhabitants of Oblivion are interesting, and the work put into creating their civilization is obvious in the book. I worked on a fairly early version of this book and there were some info-dumps, but those have been reduced in the final version. When I have time to re-read this, I might add to the review.

For now, if you like techno-based science fiction, if you have been following this series, then definitely check out this book. While it can be read as a standalone, I think for best enjoyment it should be read in its appropriate place in the series.

Series Information: Jezebel's Ladder
Book 1: Jezebel's Ladder, review linked here
Book 2: Sirius Academy, review linked here
Book 3: Sanctuary, review linked here
Book 4: Approaching Oblivion

Disclosure: I edited this book. I receive no remuneration based on sales. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: To earn a place in galactic society, the astronauts of Sanctuary must give an unknown civilization twenty-seven ideas, a ladder to lift it to the next level… if sabotage or space travel doesn’t kill them first. Yuki needs to replace an arm while covering up previous misdeeds. Mercy navigates a high-risk pregnancy with a sociopathic doctor. Yvette struggles to convince the others that the aliens who provided the ship are not as benevolent as they seem.

Their target is Oblivion B4, the fourth moon of a gas giant similar to Jupiter. The moon has a maze of cracks on the surface where life flourishes, earning it the name Labyrinth. More than one maze needs to be threaded if they're going to return to Earth.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.