Monday, May 19, 2014

Review: Saga, Volume 1


Saga, Volume 1
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Science fantasy graphic novel
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Those who enjoy graphic novels, those who enjoy this type of story
Trigger Warnings: murder, violence, those with arachnophobia beware, war, slavery, pedophilia

My Thoughts: I was intrigued by this. Having seen other work by Brian Vaughan, I wanted to see more, and this graphic novel looked like it showcased his writing skills well. The illustration did a bang-up job, just beautifully done. It was an interesting choice, I thought, to have the daughter telling the story, especially since it was obvious she was telling it from some point well into the future.

The rich diversity of races in this galaxy is wonderful, and I really like that not all of them look like humans at the base. In fact, humans are few and far between. I was amused in the early part of the first chapter that the grease monkey was, literally, a monkey. And The Stalk is one of the freakiest things I've ever seen. If you suffer from arachnophobia, be aware that she will be a major trigger.

This is an enjoyable read, with wonderful art. I will definitely want to continue this series. It was left on a bit of a cliffhanger. In fact, if those two people are supposed to be Marko's parents, why are his horns so different? I'd like to know more about the Wreathe natives overall. Volumes 2 and 3 are out, taking us up to issue 18, although it appears there have been 20 issues released so far, so it might be awhile before we see Volume 4. Still, I plan to pick up the next two volumes as soon as I can. If this sounds like someone you would like, don't hesitate to do so as well.

Disclosure: This book was a gift from a friend. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. 

This edition collects issues 1 – 6 of the graphic novel series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.